Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 22 replies

Perki

I am having a go at some autumn fruiting raspberry's about six plants, I've decided I grow Joan J  but would like another variety. I had a look at polka which is well recommend and new variety Paris is catching my eye.

Anyone grown - All gold - autumn fruiting raspberry ? Does taste good   are is it a bit of a gimmick ?

Last edited: 13 February 2018 22:29:45

chicky

We’ve got Polka and they are wonderful -great taste, big berries and loads of them over a long period. Birds don’t go for them so we don’t even have to net (unlike the blueberries that get stripped if we forget)

Never tried All gold though.

Perki

Thanks chicky, birds got my blueberries and red / white / black currants  I am not so bothered you snooze you lose  wished they saved me a blueberry though.

Last edited: 13 February 2018 22:39:17

chicky

They’re clever little blighters aren’t they   I don’t know whether its because the raspberries fruit later - but we have never had a problem with them being thieved.

Perki

The wood pigeon's sit on the fence and pinch and sit on the end of the branch,  bend it down so they can comfortably sit on the branch. The black birds live in the currant bush I am sure.  

Is they any difference in flavour / yield between the autumn fruiting and the summer fruiting ?

Last edited: 13 February 2018 22:54:10

Advertisement

All gold are lovely flavour and heavy cropping in my garden, not a gimmick at all.  all berries crop quite well here, i struggle to keep them under control. 

Perki

Oh good , do they send out vigorous suckers all54. 

Oh yes. The all gold are against a fence, in a narrow bed, and I’m supposed to remember to tie new shoots onto the fence. Actually they fall all over the path and come up through it! I probably need some post and wire type solution. They should have more room too, as they are successful. I try different stuff but give it up if it doesn’t go well, or the voles like it too much. 

fidgetbones

I have polka. They have fruited well from the first year. I gave some suckers to mum last year, and although they were late going in (although dug up and planted the same day), they fruited for her as well. Second and third year, lots of raspberries. They were still fruiting in November.

Kitty 2

I have All Gold Perki.  Planted approx 4yrs ago, along with Glen Ample (summer fruiting) and a Loganberry.  All Gold is the only surviving plant, so I'd say it's tough as old boots and easy to grow 😆.

Grows in a narrow border beside the greenhouse which I have filled by chopping off the suckers from the one original plant. New suckers appear in the flowerbed in front every year so I suppose it must be vigorous, I just dig down and chop them out. 

Gives a good crop of berries despite my neglect. I'm a complete amateur, and only planted the soft fruit bushes for my daughters cake making projects.  I have yet to get the hang of proper pruning , I simply chop them down and tie them in to bamboo canes for support when they get tall.  

Have no other surviving plants to compare the flavour of All Gold to, but I find the fruits on mine are a good fat size and very sweet and tasty. I like to eat them straight off the bush when I'm pottering down at the end of the garden.

Perki

Thanks . think I'll have to dig in some wood to make a border, they only shallow rooted so hopefully it will keep them in one place. Don't want them creeping into next door neighbour garden. 

They do wander off. But free raspberries aren't the worst thing you could give to your neighbour.

I have Joan J and All Gold. I'd say the latter are softer - a lovely eat off the cane fruit. Joan J fruit are lovely and big and firmer, so perfect for bottling (and they are so productive, you need to do something with the excess, unless you a big family). I generally find autumns are sweeter and larger than the early summer fruits, although the later summer ones are similar to autumn types.

I also find All Gold are less attractive to the birds - I think they go for red/pink for preference, so because I have both, the yellow ones are left alone, on the whole. I had to net my blueberries to get any fruit at all. The birds ate them when they were pink - still unripe - so none at all survived to be eaten by me. I don't mind sharing but I feel I am entitled to SOME of the berries.

Last edited: 14 February 2018 16:00:02

Perki

Do you have any other variety's raisingirl ? Joan J best flavour red / pink if you have any others 

I've also got Glen Ample (summer fruiting) and an early summer one the name of which escapes me. I think it's one of the 'malling' ones. The autumn fruiting ones are the easiest and most productive and have at least as good a flavour as the summer ones, so if I was only going to grow one type, it would be autumn, for sure.

fidgetbones

Absolutely the best flavour is Terri Louise, huge berries, twice a year fruiting. Unfortunately it has a bad tendency to wander a lot, and has been delisted for Joan J.

Advertisement

Perki

Have you tried double cropping any of the autumn fruiting variety's , its supposed to not weaken the plant either and a bigger yield overall.  If you didn't already know you can leave a few canes on for next year suppose to get an earlier crop, then you cut the old canes down. 

Done it by accident a few times . Most of my feral raspberries are autumn fruiting but they just get left to their own devices, so yes, indirectly I have done that. The fruit are generally smaller but just as many and taste just as good

Victoria Sponge

I was hoping to try double cropping the autumn rasps once they are established, maybe next year.

I have Joan J and if it's of any interest DT Brown have replaced them in their catalogue with Polka considering them a superior variety...

Hope you let us know what you decide Perki, I also have a raspberry shopping list albeit for next year now.

Sandra100

I've just bought some Polka canes.  Does anyone know if I could plant them in a container?  If so, would I need ericaceous compost?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Sorry, I understand raspberries don't grow well in a container except for the new dwarf kinds.

I've just bought Polka as well, but haven't been able to get out to dig up the old canes yet. I'm going to add some manure and lots of sand as I'm told they like sandy soil, and you're right they prefer acid soil, which we haven't got. Will just have to give it a go. I've heeled them into the veg bed for the time being so hope they survive. Apparently they should have been planted Nov/Dec but mine from Dobies has only just arrived - with no planting advice, which is unusual.