Start a new thread

21 to 34 of 34 replies

The Hellebores are particularly beautiful,  do you have the names for them?

I've been browsing this thread too, as I've got a patch in mind for cut flowers, if it ever dries up enough to let me do some more clearing!

Asters (Callistephus) are nice for cutting  - DT Brown/ Mr Fothergill do a good cutting mix seed packet of all sorts and colours. I've got that on my list, grew some years ago, and Gypsophila, wondering about Molucella. Rudbeckias are a definite though, I like the autumnal shades later in the year and just love daisies!

I love Alchemilla  early in the summer. The limy green, frothy flowers seem to go so well with everything.

Bright Star - Hayloft have some nice  Hellebore collections (look in Magazine offers section) I'm trying to decide between 2 of them. I bought some last year, good little plants, can't wait for them to flower, there's what looks like a yellow one, with a big fat bud Won't know till it opens, the birds move all my labels!

Last edited: 08 February 2018 23:06:32

I've not got the knack of keeping hellebores alive as cut flowers - they just droop after a day, even if I do seal the stems. I read somewhere the very dark flowered ones may last longer, but I think I'll stick to hellebores in the garden and daffs in a vase at this time of year.

Bulbs make it easy in spring. I have a few gladioli but I may see if I can find some more. Cornflowers are a definite and some more interesting colours of rudbeckia - last year I only had yellow ones, which were great but they come in so many more interesting colours.

Do echinacea last as cut flowers? 

Dahlia Cafe au lait looks stunning - I may have to try it 

Any suggestions for a good cutting rose? The ones in the garden seem to have a vase life in inverse proportion to their scent - better the scent, the quicker they die. Are there any that buck the trend?

fidgetbones

My hellebores are mainly from Ashwood nurseries. They are having an open day on 17th February, and John Masseys garden will be open on 10th February for charity.  I can recommend both of these if you can get there.

John Massey will be attempting to do a hellebore stand at this years Chelsea Flower show, which if he pulls it off, will be amazing.

https://www.ashwoodnurseries.com/events/hellebore-tours-feb2018/

I cut hellebore flowers with an inch of stem and then float them in a bowl of water. They last about a week like this.

Busy-Lizzie

Your hellebores are beautiful, Fidget. Hard to find different varieties in France and they are very expensive. But I have a dark red one and a spotty one and they've made babies so now I have pink too and I was able to give 2 new dark red ones to my daughter.

Advertisement

fidgetbones

I have seedlings from the above hellebores. They are unlikely to flower this year, but  I am hoping for some next year.  I did have a collection from T &M as part of an offer. They were tiny, took two years to flower. Although they are doubles , they are not as good as the Ashwoods. They are in Mums garden now, I am trying to keep the Ashwood strain fairly pure, subject to random bees of course.

Obelixx

I find the price and lack of choice for hellebores in France utterly astonishing.   19€ for very ordinary white ones with no speckles!   I have seeds tho and will sow some and see what happens.

I'm not into 'flower arranging ' in the competitive sense, but I enjoy arranging flowers and you can pick up useful tips  on making your flowers last longer in a vase.

Useful link here : http://www.flowerarranging.me.uk/conditioning.html

I use the boiling water trick for garden roses too.

Another useful tip is for tulips : to help them last longer and flop less, take each indiviual flower and pierce the top of the stem with a needle, just a little below the petals. 

Obelixx

Thanks for that link.  I'm planning a cutting garden myself this year but am a complete novice at flowers in vases.

I planted some freesias in a window box last year to keep them going while I waited for rain to make the potager and lo and behold they have flower buds on them!  Looking foward to lovely colours and perfume.

fidgetbones

Well , I've gone and done it now. I volunteered flowers for a neighbours  daughters wedding mid September. She wants mainly peach coloured and white. I've just raided the garden centres for seed. We will see. The trick is how late can I sow the sweet peas and have them mid september. ?

Wow - good luck .

April, probably, unless we get a very cold spring, but I guess you just keep sowing rows from March until you run out of seeds and who knows? Maybe the June sown ones will be just perfect 

I was very late planting sweet peas last year, probably mid  April, and they were still flowering in November when the obalix they were on was blown over by a gale. 

Re the floppy tulips. Was at the hairdressers once when another customer popped a 2p piece into a vase of tulips and said they'll be ok in an hour. And they were. Perked up beautifully.

Sowed 2 more lots of snapdragons last week and low and behold they have sprouted!.......along with some other seeds which I must have sown into the same pots😂. I thought I was being careful but obviously not. Snapdragons are so tiny and difficult to see, pricking out is going to be fun.