Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Advice please.

Last year on a visit to an 'open garden' we saw some beautiful graceful pink flowers which turned out to be Dieramas. The lady said  they self set from seed hence various clumps here and there.

I couldnt find any trace of them in the Garden Centres but my husband found some seed available on line.

18 seeds shared 9/9 with my brother. The instructions said to keep newly planted pots warm in winter but that they could be sown outdoors...confusing.

My brother put his in a greenhouse and mine are on the bathroom windowsill. He has 4 left and I have 8 but although they are now 3 to 4 inches tall and look like little tufts of grass, some 'blades' are turning brown. On the whole though they seem ok.

Advice please as to when to plant them outside or when to move them out to the greenhouse. 

Is it best to keep them in little pots until they are larger and if so should I repot them?

Are they suitable for growing in containers full time?

I understand that they wont flower for up to 5 years but Im keen to have some because they are so lovely and I dont want to kill the ones I have.

Everything Ive read points to them being difficult, slow growing,easily upset plants but Im more than willing to wait and need to know please, from someone who has grown them rather than from a text-book, the best way to care for them.

KeenOnGreen

I would wait until Spring, because even though they are hardy, they are after all still seedlings.  I used to grow ours in pots, but read that they do much better in the ground.  Pots tend to dry out easily in Summer, and Dierama prefer soil which is moist (but well drained).  They are also clump forming, but don't like being moved, so if you do put them in pots, you'll be faced with what to do when they clump up to fill the pot.  In my experience, that means forcing them out of the pot so you can re-pot them, and therefore no flowers for several years.

So essentially, plant in in the ground in Spring.  Find a spot where you ideally won't need to move them for years, in full Sun, with moist but well drained soil.  And enjoy.

We saw huge clumps of them in New Zealand   Really wanted some so bought (legally) lots of seed. Nothing ever happened. Too cold up here for them but I have had lots of success with diplahennia which is a much smaller plant but truly hardy and very beautiful 

Last edited: 14 January 2018 11:35:35

They are strangely fussy plants. I am a bit worried about them being in a bathroom, which is so often dark and damp and may have huge swings in temperature. I started mine in pots in spring and put them outdoors for the summer, bringing them in to a frost free greenhouse for winter. I didn't plant them out until they were two because they look like bits of grass and I feared I might weed them out in a senior moment. They have grown into large clumps and self seed as well. They HATE any disturbance, even as seedlings.

My neighbour over the hedge admired them and asked for some. I gave her some seeds, seedlings and eventually, even some young plants in pots, but not one survived. They were only a few yards from the clumps in my garden. She was a better gardener than I am, too....

Advertisement

Thankyou all for the advice.

KeenOnGreen...Weve chosen a place where they will go.....beside a pond but not wet ground and sunny most of the day. I wont plant them though for a couple of years.

Papi Jo...lots of advice and I see someone else is asking about them today too.

Lily Pilly, I Googled Diplahennia and it gives me a slightly different name.Dipladenia...Rocktrumpet? Hadnt seen them before but they are attractive so might try to find some and try those too.

Posy, they are on a south facing windowsill near a radiator. Apart from daily doses of steam the temperature doesnt fluctuate too much...I think.

Its going to be interesting to see the outcome.

Thankyou. I appreciate your time.