Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Hi

Am a recent convert to thalictrums and have a couple of questions.

Should I deadhead them and is it worth it - I've read that they have lovely seedheads but wondering if I can get a couple of flushes of flowers in first?

have also read that they are slow to re-establish when divided - wondered what any one else's experience of this was plus has anyone tried any other ways of propagating them?

nutcutlet

I don't find thalictrums respond well to being messed about with. I only grow species so all will come true from seed and I let them seed

Topbird

I only dead head thalictrums if I can see tiny buds which will produce more flowers. I only cut them back if they've been blown over by strong wind or if they start to look really untidy.

Like Nut - on the whole I tend to leave them to do their own thing and have found they self seed quite well. The seedlings don't mind being moved to a new spot in spring.

Borderline

Thalictrums always tend to flop over once they have finished flowering. I used to cut all the stems right down and leave the foliage. It's the foliage that is of interest and a great foil for other plants later on. I don't see any problems with dividing up. Best to do it next spring. 

Thanks all, think I will leave them alone and collect some seed at the end of the season.

Advertisement

nutcutlet

collect and sow when ripe chrissie, don't save it, needs cold rather than heat to germinate.

Thanks nutcutlet, I probably would have saved them for spring so that's good to know