Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Hello.

I have a problem with Heuchera plant, it seems to have rotted at the base.

It was grown in a general All purpose fertiliser.

Fairygirl

Hi Leonard - heucheras can be very susceptible to vine weevil damage, especially if they're in pots. The young ones chew through the roots and leave the plant 'detached'. Oftem you see nothing until the plant just collapses. Could that be what's happened?

Fortunately, heucheras will regrow from the tiniest bit of root, so all is not lost if that's the case.

If you can upload a photo here that would help too  

Fairygirl says:

Hi Leonard - heucheras can be very susceptible to vine weevil damage, especially if they're in pots. The young ones chew through the roots and leave the plant 'detached'. Oftem you see nothing until the plant just collapses. Could that be what's happened?

Fortunately, heucheras will regrow from the tiniest bit of root, so all is not lost if that's the case.

If you can upload a photo here that would help too  

See original post
Thanks fairygirl

That is exactly what has happened.

Is there any thing I can do to stop the pesky varmint?.

Obelixx

Check the roots regularly and remove the maggoty form of vine weevil.  Birds like them.  When/if you buy new plants, always check their roots and re-pot in a John Innes formulated compost rather than MPC..

Fairygirl

There is a product you can buy Leonard, but it's name escapes me. You can also get nematodes to apply, which is more eco friendly, but those need warmer weather to use. They're mostly applied in spring I think. They tend to work better in pots than in open ground. 

If you can see the little white-ish grubs in and around the plant roots, you can tip everything out on a sheet of plastic or similar, and the birds will snaffle them up. Clean off the soil from the plant roots and check there aren't any more, and then repot your plant.

It's the larvae that do the damage, but if you see any adults, squish them and it helps to prevent more of the b***ers! 

Advertisement

Lyn

Now  is the time to apply nematodes if you want to, up to mid November.  You can also do them in Spring.  

They work out a bit expensive to put on the garden, depending on how big your garden is I suppose.

I only used them in pots and tubs.

Its the slug ones that you apply in the Spring/early summer. 

Fairygirl

That's useful info Lyn - thanks. I couldn't remember if they were only applied in spring!

I've never used them. We do have vine weevils, and I do have  quite a few heucheras, in pots and in the ground, but I haven't had any issues with them. They did devour a nice new sedum I bought a while ago though  

Lyn

They’re a b***er under my aquilegias!

the chemical stuff is called Provado.

Fairygirl

I knew someone would remember the name!  

Perhaps they're getting smarter and adapting to try and keep us all on our toes - chomping on lots of other species.

I blame Brexit.....

Lyn

As well as the usual basket type plants, fuchsia, Begonia etc, they’ve had aquilegia, heuchera and lupins. 

They are the one creature apart from slugs of course that I just cannot touch with bare hands, they are so clean and perfect, I pick them out with tweasers and feed to the birds. 

Hostafan1

I love to squish them. ( vine weevils, not heuchera ) I like to know the job is done.

Fairygirl

I don't mind picking up slugs Lyn. Maybe I'm just a masochist  

I try not to do it when I'm on my way out the door to work though. That slime's awkward to get off. Bit messy on the steering wheel....

I don't really do baskets/pots with annuals, apart from my sweet peas, so perhaps that helps. I  mainly have young plants/cuttings, bulbs and shrubs in pots. I have a few aquilegias, but in the ground so they don't seem to get bothered. No lupins any more either.  I have some adult damage on a few shrubs, but most plants are healthy enough to shrug it off fortunately. 

I do get vine weevil grub damage mostly succulents and primula in pots. I have used provado in the past but I've also drowned the little devils by putting my pots in deep trays and filling with water to soil level and leaving for 24 hrs. Although I'd be careful of doing that with succulents at this time of year. There's nothing sadder than seeing a plant not growing in early spring and realising it's just sitting on the compost with no roots.

Earlier this week I was sorting congested pots of daff bulbs which I hadn't touched since spring. In the mass of new roots were the dreaded grubs although I was not aware of damage. I've shaken out the bulbs and repotted them In fresh compost...fingers crossed. The old compost I put in a plastic trug and cover with water, leave for a few days and then upend it into compost bin. I have to say I'm a squsher of any grubs I see.

Kitty 2

Interesting to read your method of 24hr drowning in plain water Bilje.  Does it work as well as using provado to kill them off?  

I've never used the chemical route, and usually spend ages picking the grubs out by hand. A mucky, yucky job to clear my potted primulas this spring .

A simple soaking sounds great .

Joyce21

I use Provado in March and September for heuchera and fuchsia in pots.  I also put an inch of gravel on top of pots.

Advertisement

Hi Kitty yes I'd say soaking works but I  didn't empty pots to check. Obviously you need to plunge in water to the rim of the pot. 

The compost which had vine weevil in and was soaked was tipped into the compost bin yesterday with dead ie drowned grubs visible.