Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 25 replies

I bought a wisteria from a small plant about 8 years ago and it has never flowered I brought this plant because of the beautiful flowers but so disheartened because it has never flowered I have pruned it many times every year it has loads of healthy green leaves but to no avail no flowers please help as I am seriously thinking of digging it up ????

Wisteria takes about 7 years to flower I think. Do you know whether it's a grafted plant? Do you prune it correctly?

Eek injust ordered one online....I thought it flowered straight away....

Shirley K It may do. It depends how big (old) it is. Mine is a grafted plant but still took 2 or 3 years before it flowered. I've heard they take about 7 years if grown from seed. Be patient, it's worth the wait and effort when they do flower. When it arrives, look to see whether it's got some short stubbly side shoots. These are the ones that flower. What will you be growing it against/over or is it one of those "standard" trained ones?

Im hoping to grow it against a fence at the moment there ia rubble between the fence and concrete blocks.......Hopefully Marygold.  Ill try upload a picture when it arrives - I went a little OTT ordered some ivy clematis and jasmine too.........

Advertisement

Yviestevie

I bought a fair sized Wisteria 5 years ago from a good garden centre and it has never flowered.  It has been pruned 'properly' for 3 years.  It's on its final warning but looking at the buds, once again they look like leaf buds not flower buds.  A second one bought last year looks as if it has flower buds and leaf buds.  They have both been treated the same and are planted along the same fence.  Wisteria are a mystery to me.

Th S is the 3rd year for our wisteria. first year we got lots of growth  from the shoots high was great but no flowers. Last year we got flowers but no growth which was disappointing as I assumed it would grow more. This year I can see flower buds but will it grow! I'm hoping for it to grow around the fence on the patio but I'm not confident it will after last year

Lyn

Ryan, I have one sounds similar to yours, but no flowers yet.

There did used to be an expert on here, hope he still pops in, mine has not grown in height but it's wider and puts on new growth every year, no flowers.

darren636
Wisteria can take 20 years to flower if grown from seed.
Has yours got a graft visible?
Does it take a few years for roots to establish before it grows in width? I'm hoping mine gets bigger this year
darren636
It should grow in all directions every summer- trunk, roots and stems

I'm certainly not "the expert" mentioned in a previous post, but I have made suggestions in the past ref caring for wisteria.  As others have already said, it can take many years before a newly purchased plant may flower, so it's a good idea to buy one when it is actually flowering so that you know there's every chance that will continue to do so thereafter. 

When I came to my current home - over 20 yeas ago now - there were two very well-established wisterias at the property but neither of them flowered. I found this very frustrating, as the plants themselves had clearly been there for many years with the main stems being at least 3" in diameter.  They had been planted at the front of the house, at the base of the house wall, in rather small holes which had been made in the concrete path which ran along the whole of the front.  I discovered that they needed to be very well-watered during the autumn months, in order  for them to flower the following spring. I made sure that they got lots of water until the time came when the path itself was removed in order to create a shrub bed in its place, together with a new layout for the driveway etc.  Since then the general rainfall has meant that the moisture spreads throughout the shrub beds and extra water for the wisterias has proved to be un-necessary.

The reward has been what could be described as resembling a purple waterfall down the whole of the front of the house - and it's turned out to be one of those things which people use to identify the house itself - i.e.  "that one with the fantastic wisteria". 

My guess is that not only lack of water but also lack of nutrients played a part in the poor "performance" of the plants - the soil close to the house foundations was probably very poor quality and the concrete path certainly meant that there was insufficient water reaching the roots.

It doesn't work, however, to use too much fertiliser because this stimulates leaf growth rather than flowers, so careful and regular watering seems to be the solution.

So if mine didn't grow in all directions last year what could be the issue? We pruned it twice a year as advised but no extra growth. Fingers crossed this year it gets bigger
darren636
Give it a high potassium feed and a good soak.

Wisterias are sometimes very slow to start producing  the hormone that causes them to produce flower buds.

If your wisteria was budded from wood that had never bloomed then it might take many years.

Things that can help: root prune circling about 2 feet from the stem; in spring shorten all shoots by half and then again about midsummer so the new growth has a chance to ripen. Wisteria doesn't need a lot of water but it needs to be adequate when it's in growth; don't fertilize ever, all you'll do is produce lots of whippy growth that won't bloom.

Advertisement

Where exactly is your wisteria planted, Ryan?  All too often people plant things close to a boundary where the soil is poor or compacted, and they don't remember to make a really big hole and use some good quality compost to back-fill the hole when planting things. 

I've never heard or read about root-pruning wisteria, so would be reluctant to try it, having found what (to me at least) was a totally satisfactory way of getting the plants to produce plentiful flowers.  During the summer months, after they have finished flowering, the wisterias here seem to grow like triffids.  I think I really should measure the rate some time, as I reckon the shoots grow about 18" per week, and spread across windows etc during the time I'm away in the summer!

Yviestevie

Mine has finally flowered after 5 years of pruning by the book, keeping it well watered and fish blood and bone in Feb and high potash in April.  It was on its final warning, perhaps that what did it.

I planted this wisteria 2 years ago and it hasn't really grown very tall. It has a long thin branch coming from the base, should I cut that off now? 

Obelixx

It is still very young so I would consider cutting off that thin stem coming out from the base and then shortening that other long spindly bit you've trained up vertically.  I would also lengthen those training wires by several metres and train any new growth as horizontally as possible as this slows sap flow and encourages budding for flowers.

Give it a good feed of pelleted chicken manure in spring to encourage growth and a liquid tonic of tomato food to help encourage flowers.  Then you need to look up the pruning regime that encourages flowers - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242 

This is one of ours, inherited when we bought the house and after pruning back a lot of chippy growth.  They can get very long and wide, hence advice to lengthen wires.  Use screw in vine eyes to space the wires a couple of inches out from the wall to allow ventilation and tieing in.

Thats great! Thanks Obelixx! That picture of yours is beautiful!