Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 30 replies

Doghouse Riley

A robin outside sitting on one of the handles of the doors of our French windows just now. There's a bird feeder hanging from a pergola over the back wall of our house.
He/she often sits there. The TV can be seen from there, or maybe it's a bit warmer.
This time long enough for me to go upstairs and find my camera.

Lovely photos Doghouse Riley.

Maybe he's looking for a Christmas present of some mealworms!

Beautiful photographs.

I think it's a male as they say the female's feathers look washed out compared to the darker richer colours of the male. She must be camouflaged in order to be safe when incubating her eggs.

Maybe he was hoping for a wildlife programme on the telly...

Doghouse Riley
Fran IOM says:

Beautiful photographs.

I think it's a male as they say the female's feathers look washed out compared to the darker richer colours of the male. She must be camouflaged in order to be safe when incubating her eggs.

Maybe he was hoping for a wildlife programme on the telly...

See original post

We thought it was a male.

Hmm..

He might be looking at the telly, well, with his right eye anyway.

Last edited: 16 December 2017 16:35:05

A beautiful pic, DHR. Love the second one especially with his (her?) bright little eye turned towards you.

Advertisement

I have one that each time I go out to the garden, as soon as I open the shed it flies to the door and jumps around and is just behind me until i get the bird food out.  Love it. 

Robins are said to be people who have since passed that come back to spend a little time with you.. I see them often and enjoy that thought..

I think you have to be very brave to say whether this is a male or a female, as they are identical (unless you've got one in the hand and can turn it upside-down). With my Packham hat on, I'd say that the photos are not quite true in colour - look at the colour of the feet - which is hard to avoid on gloomy days.

I don't think incubating eggs is really relevant as, like most small birds, they sit deep in the nest with their undersides invisible.

However, it's lovely to have them peeping in through the window at you. We've just had the reappearance of a Song Thrush in our garden - bit optimistic to say it's the first sign of spring, though!

They are stunning pics. Robins are my favourite 

NewBoy2

Just dug over a bit of the back garden and I could hear a Robin in next doors apple tree belting out its song. Just wonderful .I stood looking at him and he looked at me for about 5 minutes with no fear

It was singing to its mate over on the allotment but I do imagine its talking to me

"Oi...where are my worms "    "Come on The Wife is hungry " " Dig quicker please "

I once was digging with a fork and was just about to place my foot onto the fork when I noticed a Robin sat on it. There cant be a more friendly and bold creature in the UK.

I feel very sorry for people who spend their after work time in a darkened room watching a computer screen 

LG the L

Lovely photos. 

Doghouse Riley

An update.

My wife has named him "Rocky," a few days later we saw "Ruby" we guess,  who is his girlfriend.

A few more days later "Rosie" appeared. We think the additions must be female otherwise he'd have probably seen them off. But "Rocky" is the only one that sits on  the door handle every day a few times. He sometimes turns around after a while to survey his empire.

He does share it with a pair of blackbirds and the dunnocks, but they all seem to be able to exist in harmony.

I'm going to try to take some more photos.

Last edited: 12 January 2018 21:43:53

punkdoc

Ironic of course!

NewBoy2

Puncdoc

Dont understand     Ironic of course!

Advertisement

nodlisab

This one greets me every morning.

Great pictures - yes I think most of us who garden have or have had "pet " robins that follow us about. It's all cupboard love of course but we don't mind. I am lucky to have at least 3 at the moment Back garden Robin, front garden Robin & Allotment Robin, love them all.

AnniD

Love those photos of Rocky Doghouse. He really seems to be enjoying his bath time! How far away were you when you took those photos, if you don't mind me asking?

NewBoy2

Great photos from you both

"Apparently " Robins used to follow pigs or men when they were digging up truffles. Not sure if this has any validity though

They just seem to be on a par with us humans and may it always be so

On a sad note I had a field mouse who visited my garden and I left a bucket out over night and "Rocky" fell in and drowned in the water

I buried him in the garden and under a stone so he could not be dug up

That night I dreamt he burst out of the soil and came after me!!

Doghouse Riley
AnniD says:

Love those photos of Rocky Doghouse. He really seems to be enjoying his bath time! How far away were you when you took those photos, if you don't mind me asking?

See original post

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm standing near the back of our lounge so it's about twenty feet to the French windows.

So the total distance to the bird bath, through the glass of the French windows,  is about  thirty-five feet.

I'm using one of these, I bought at the beginning of last year. It's got a lot of features, most of which I don't use. It's only used for "snaps" and short videos. I took the fox cub videos on zoom through the glass of the French windows.

It replaced a Lumix DMC LZ7, which still works but the sound on any videos now has a bit of background noise.

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz60-digital-camera-hd-1080p-18-1mp-30x-optical-zoom-wi-fi-nfc-gps-glonass-evf-3-screen/p1179282

For the money, I'm more  than happy with it.

Last edited: 15 January 2018 14:11:31